Thursday, January 05, 2006

Who would I like to be...if I could?

Who would I like to be...if I could?

Heck, anybody, anybody but me.

Don't worry, my self esteem isn't that far in the dumpster and I don't want to be just anyone forever. What I want is to experience being another human being for just as long as it would take to register that I am...indeed...another.

It would be like in Star Trek "The Vulcan Mind Meld" Yeah, that's it!
Thanks Ian, it is "Meld", not "Transfer"
I would just grab a hold of the head of some volunteer or passerby, probably the opposite sex would work best, and have a real meeting of the minds.

In the hopes of finding...

Basically, I would hope to find nothing new, the same old deal, la même chose.
Ain't that a kicker?
I know we all differ, but I want to embody our commonalities.

You may ask... Why search for something you already know?

To live the fact that we are more alike than different. To experience, at least through another's memories, the stupid and the brilliant moments, the times of bravery and cowardice, feelings of love and hate, self esteem and loathing, pain and joy; would be life changing, eye opening, downright profound. Don't you think we all have those moments?

Sadly, at this point in time, I have to take your word for it...

We are hard on "us", and the company of another mind, if only for a second, would quiet us, make us feel less alone, a part of the world. It would be a boon for understanding and compassion, forgiveness for others and ourselves. It would be great, almost sweet.

Yet...

I'm not convinced that it would be smart to "meld" with someone you already know. I get visions of Spock doing the transfer on Captain Kirk. They never showed this on the series but...

I'm sure that Spock was totally pissed when he found out that there was no hope in hell that he would ever get promoted to Captain!

Quasimodem

3 Comments:

Blogger Ian russell said...

i have this dichotomy: i wish to be different in my successes but in my failures the same as everyone else. i suspect we're all the same in that, admiration when we're up, reassurance when we're down and when we're neither up nor down, at least some sort of approval...

who said that thing about success and failure being equal imposters and treat them both the same?

What am i babbling on about?! This is probably not what you had in mind at all! oh dear...

[was it the vulcan mind meld? - which sounds like a totally made up word. a portmanteau perhaps. yes, of course, they're *all* made up, silly me. Not to be found in nature. except...perhaps, onomatopoeia... sorry, babbling again.]

I liked your post (very much).

1:14 AM  
Blogger Quasimodem said...

Ian, maybe we all want to be different in our successes but in our failures the same as anyone else.

I like it! Can I adopt your idea for a mere 80 cents a day?

It is what I had in mind, even though I was concerned that the Star Trek reference wasn't "common"
enough.

quote: "I'm melding"!
Wicked Witch of the Enterprise

6:25 AM  
Blogger Ian russell said...

hmm, 80 cents a day you say?

i'm not a trekkie but i seem to remember they had abolished money because it hindered cultural progress or something.

anyway, I haven't got 80 cents a day, can't you take it away for nothing?

code: I'm melding!

(wiggid widge ob de wezd)

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home