Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mother's Day

My mom...

....believed me over all others.

She instilled a feeling that truth meant something.


And...

I hated outings to a "hotsy totsy" restaurant learning of napkins, forks, and decorum, carrying a purse that had nothing in it...

(What part of middle class are we not getting here?...the sad thing is...err now I know why she did it)

She set up cots on the front veranda the summer I felt friendless. We both slept there the bulk of the summer like we were camping. She pretended she was my friend. I pretended I believed her.

I remember...

Her singing when she couldn't sing...

Making horrid looking theme cakes when she wasn't particularly artistic.

Allowing me to crawl into bed with her for every nightmare, despite the grumblings of my dad.

Talk about bravery!


Regrets?

Yeah, wished I put aside the decorum so she could see who I am.

I suspect she would do the same.


However...she drove me insane...

Trying to give money to the kids when I was trying to instil financial values.

Bringing my dad early to his surprise birthday party...

Leaning on me too much...


But now...

Wished she would give the kids money..

Wished she could drop in at a party...

Wished she would lean on me just once more.

I love you mom.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian russell said...

you don't post so often so i forget to come around.

this is a heartfelt piece, very powerful. was your mum a nurse? it looks like one of those funny hats they used to wear, in the first photo. a time when hats were symbolic rather than practical.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Quasimodem said...

Yeah, she was a nurse and a damned good one at that. We've joked that she almost made being sick worthwhile. Incredible nurturer...almost manic, which was kinda scary in itself as well!

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home